In another thread, it ws mentioned that "hiking solo is dangerous". The purpose of this post is to discuss a couple common questions/concerns. Do you think that solo hiking is wise and safe? Or do you think that solo hiking is dumb and dangerous?

Also is a female hiking solo more at risk then a male hiking solo.

These topics have been discussed many times on other dedicated hiking/backpacking forums we participate in and be interesting to read the discussions here.

I'll start....I know from much personal experience and the experience of many other people that solo hiking can be safe. As I mentioned in a previous post, while hiking alone, you need to be prepared, mentally, physically and gear wise. If you meet and continuously follow all three of these requirements. Furthermore, hiking solo also imparts more importance on leaving friends and family comple and exact details of your hike....this applies regardless of gender.

As to wisdom of females hiking solo, I posed this question to my G/F tonight. Her response was:

Although I am female and have done many solo hiking and running training sessions (note: she is an ex adventure racer and speaking in this context) over all kinds of wilderness and I have never feared for my safety whether it be human or animals. In fact, the only time I have ever been approached by anyone in an ill manner is when I am in the city. I fear more for my safety in a city then I do out in the woods.

Thoughts on all the above?