I'm in the same boat with Dan_Mcl (pun intended). I have a 26 foot motor sailor in Brooklyn. My concern is that it is on the opposie side of Brooklyn from where I live. Don't know that I could get there in a SHTF situation, or that the boat would be there when I did. For that reason, I don't keep bugout supplies on board, other than the regular emergency supplies.

If I had some warning, or had someone prepositioned at the boat, it could be sailed to within two blocks of my home, near the Gowanus Canal. So it is always an option. I figure if they have to evacuate a major metropolitain area like NYC, boat is much preferable to driving or walking. Trying to get approx. 9 million people out over seven bridges or three tunnels is not going to go smoothly.

BTW, the mileage chart provided by bilojax is probably accurate. I have a 50 hp Honda on the boat, and if I keep the rpms at about 1,500 I get an easy 25mpg. Haven't figured a way to account for the current, so that figure will increase or decrease depending on conditions.