Originally Posted By: bilojax

BTW, in your situation there is an out similar to mine, and I know some people who are planning to use it (or at least talk like they are, like me - who knows what we'll do if push comes to shove). There is a sport similar to canoeing called Sea Kayaking. It's difficult in some ways and pretty dangerous on its own, so it's not something you'd want to take up solely for the sake of bugging out from a massive terrorist attack. But if you already do it anyway for fun and you build up your skills, it definitely gives you the ability to escape Manhattan on short notice and carrying plenty of survival gear. My friends have paddled before from Manhattan to Delaware Bay in two days - that;s about 100 miles, I think. They paddle the East River regularly, although they don't much like it - too dirty and too many other boats that don't respect small boats.

They're not alone, either - the sport seems to be catching on, somewhat at least. I think they said there was some kind of East River Race this year, and over 100 kayakers showed up for it.

Well, I am moving to a suburb soon, and our neighborhood is close to Long Island Sound, and I'd like to take it up.

Otherwise, I think storing anything, a decent inflatable kayak might be an answer. But things still would need to be pretty desparate. If I needed to go, my first option is the car, followed by a train. If using the trains can get me about 30 miles out, I should be ok for most things that require fast evacuation.

If I got stuck on the wrong side of an incident of prolonged civil unrest, I would be thinking about using the tides to get me from here to Long Island Sound.