Originally Posted By: Dan_McI

If you have the space and ability to store a boat, then I'd also hope it was not stored solely for purposes of being prepared to bug out.

Finally, I do not see myself heading for the woods during almost any scenario. I'm a human being not a wildnerness animal. Human beings do better in communities.

I agree with your first point. I have the two boats I mentioned (small fishing boat with motor and canoe), and I use them actively for recreational purposes, so they are a natural choice for a bug out. As long as I stay disciplined enough to keep them properly maintained, packed and stocked, which alas I do not. But I try, and it has the added benefit of keeping me ready for a spur-of-the-moment recreational trip at any time.

I also MOSTLY agree with your 2nd point, which is why I live in a city and not the country. But I see the possibility that, in extreme circumstances, the usually friendly and benficial human community that I like to have all around me could turn on me, and I could be nearly helpless to defend myself, unless I have thought out and prepared a way to do so. That's all I'm suggesting here.

And anyhow, remember CCR and proud mary - river people can be pretty cool too. (Lyrics: "You dont have to worry cause you have no money, People on the river are happy to give.")

BTW, in your situation there is an out similar to mine, and I know some people who are planning to use it (or at least talk like they are, like me - who knows what we'll do if push comes to shove). There is a sport similar to canoeing called Sea Kayaking. It's difficult in some ways and pretty dangerous on its own, so it's not something you'd want to take up solely for the sake of bugging out from a massive terrorist attack. But if you already do it anyway for fun and you build up your skills, it definitely gives you the ability to escape Manhattan on short notice and carrying plenty of survival gear. My friends have paddled before from Manhattan to Delaware Bay in two days - that;s about 100 miles, I think. They paddle the East River regularly, although they don't much like it - too dirty and too many other boats that don't respect small boats.

They're not alone, either - the sport seems to be catching on, somewhat at least. I think they said there was some kind of East River Race this year, and over 100 kayakers showed up for it.