Originally Posted By: NightHiker
There are so many variables in that question that it's difficult to answer.

Terrain - flat, hilly, mountainous, sandy, rocky, swampy...

Weather - hot, cold, dry, wet, foggy, windy...

Visibility - night, day, visible land marks, solid or risky footing, clear or faint path...

Navigation technique - map and compass, gps, terrain features...

Equipment weight - the clothes on your, light day pack, "3 day" pack, expedition loadout...

Health conditions - injuries, fatigue, recent diet, stress level...

Distance to cover - 0-5, 5-15, 15-30, 30+

Alone or as part of a group - only as fast and strong as the slowest member...

"Tactical" environment - safe or "hostile", people and animals, natural dangers like avalanch & flood...

Situational urgency - is "whenever we get there" good enough with stops to top off water & forage while enjoying the trip, or is it a matter of life and death?

Original travel plan - stop to rest at set times or upon reaching pre-determined locations?

There's a different answer for every different set of combinations. For me, hiking alone, the very best I can maintain for more than a few hours is 5 miles per hour (very light load, ideal terrain & conditions, simple navigation, etc) but I prefer (and probably average) closer to 2.

All of the above is dead on.

Assuming long distance travel...

One more thing to add. One must plan "recovery days" every so often. There are going to be times requiring rest and work that does not include traveling.

Without some down time one will eventually be wearing down but not rebuilding the muscles worn down. This will eventually slow you some.

Edited by Desperado (02/03/09 04:31 AM)

RIP OBG