Quote:
That's been my experience as well. For an average (non conditioned) person, about 3-3.5 miles an hour is a fairly comfortable walking pace on even level ground with no load. When hiking on more difficult terrrain, heavy load, or if there are any hills, the speed drops dramatcially. I usually estimate an hour/mile for any group with more than a few people, unless all of them are well conditioned. That includes rest breaks, snack breaks, lunch, photo ops, etc. On shorter hikes, maybe less that 5 miles, it's probably a faster, but as the hike gets longer the speed have usually averaged around 1mph. This is a very relaxed, comfortable pace for most people. If pushed, they can do maybe 2-2.5 mph, but not for very long.

I agree with ducktapeguy, I think that 1 to 1.5 mph is about right for the average person carrying any additional weight for a sustained period. I'm certain others could maintain a better pace but not me and mine. I will have to play it conservatively. Keep it slow and steady, to reduce the risk of injury and fatigue. What did the wagon trains average, about 10 miles a day?

P.S. God help me if there are fast zombies.