Originally Posted By: Chris Kavanaugh
I think you need to forget about adding whistles and bells and just learn to shoot it well.

I have to agree with Chris on this one. Making your shotgun 'fancy' or 'tacti-cool' will in no way increase it's effectiveness. IMHO, the only thing you need now is a few boxes of ammo and some time at your local range. You, your wife and daughter need to practice with this thing more than anything else.
Colonel Cooper once said "You are no more armed because you own a gun than you are a musician because you own a piano." You have the weapon, now it's time to gain the skill to use it both correctly and safely, and that includes your wife and daughter. Without the knowledge to use it, it's worse than useless. All of you have to be completely familiar with it - loading it, unloading it, manipulating the safety, trigger control, sight picture, shooting it, storing it safely, etc. I'd recommend getting a good book on the subject to make sure you're doing it correctly. Something from Jeff Cooper, Chuck Taylor or Louis Awerbuck would be fine. You might want to pick up a few 'dummy' rounds to practice with. You certainly don't want to be practicing with live ammo anywhere but at a range. That's a tragedy waiting to happen.
Please don't fall for the BS about a shotgun can't miss or the sound of racking the slide will make the bad guys run away in terror. The facts prove otherwise.

- Dave