Originally Posted By: scafool

Chemical light sticks would never stand up well enough in a mine to be useful. They would all be broken and glowing less than 100 feet inside the portal.
If it wasn't for the fragility of them I could see them being used by miners as backup lights instead of Zippo lighters.

I forgot to mention that to keep the chemlights from being crushed, they really aren't that fragile but it is possible to accidentally activate one if you land a knee square on it. For protection we would cut a length of 1-1/2" PVC SCH-40 pipe long enough to hold the chemlight and use two end caps to close the ends. Trick was to file a groove into the removable cap so you can tell by feel which comes off. The other one was usually glued. To make the removable cap easier to take off without tools we used sandpaper or a file on the opening end to taper it a bit so it didn't stick. The tapering goes faster on a lathe but it can be done by hand. You want a slip fit that is firm and still as water tight as possible. A spritz of silicone spray helps sometimes.

Everyone had a slightly different version. One friend used the threaded screw-cap clean-out plug type fitting. A few would drill a small hole in each end, or the cap and side, and string a piece of accessory cord between them so the cap couldn't be lost. A dab of epoxy around the line helped keep the container watertight.

The 1-1/2" pipe held five or six 6" chemlights depending on who makes them and how much excess foil wrapper they use. It is possible to use the thinner DWV pipe and it gives you more room inside and it is lighter. But it isn't as tough. Works okay in shorter lengths where the end caps are close enough together to help support the diameter.