Originally Posted By: BigDaddyTX
Just thought I'd bring everyone's attention to the $50 rebate REI has right now. If you buy a SPOT from them before 2/15, you get a $50 rebate if you send it in before 3/15. Not bad, makes the unit only cost $100, and w/ the 1st years service for $99 that's not unreasonable really, especially if you stay pretty urban most of the time.

http://www.rei.com/pdf/rebates/SPOT_REI_REBATE_FORM.pdf

Rebates and low pricing typically precedes introduction of a newer model - maybe SPOT 2.0 is coming out? Or maybe its just economic downturn - its really hard to sell non-essential (or at least non-intuitively essential) devices and services in an economic recession. In which case I would ask, is the SPOT system established such that the locator service that folks depend on can be sustained with a reduced level of subscribers?

Anyway I've been busy and not checking these forums much, but Doug Ritter has posted in his blog a preview of new ACR PLB models coming later this year. I already own a PLB, and will think of getting one of these newer PLBs, and farming out my older model, maybe to another adult leader in Scouts. If I had my druthers I'd rather see some innovation in the PLB space rather than in SPOT - but basically its all good.