A long time back, I almost bought a prime winter buffalo robe. The wieght @ 30 lbs and cost left me cold. Next I looked at a Hudson's Bay point blanket. Both wieght and cost were more reasonable, but then I thought of packing that pretty blanket and it went on my bed.
So I waited one field trip to long, freezing in a rectangle car bag in Anza Borrega. I went the following weekend, and arrival of my G.I. bill check to visit my local ski rental and outdoor shop. Down bags in the popular red and deep blue hung like so many crysalis.
I told my friend and salesman I 'would never be cold again' with all the determination of Scarlet O'Hara. He produced two bags hidden away.They were this split pea green colour and were rated 4 season, -20 degrees. I hesitated, and he dropped the price $20 BELOW the 3 season bags. I can't see popular colours with my eyes closed anyway. I bought it.A Silva Ranger compass, balaclava, mittens and 3 pair of socks went home with me that day.
Next field trip to the desert brought a rare snowfall. People were jumping into cars to sleep sitting in their bags. I pulled my tarp over me, noted in the dark the direction of snowfall by my luminescent compass, sort of wormed my face to leeward and fell asleep.
That bag lasted beyond my best hoped for expectation. No annual camping trips, but near weekly field excavations and full, 3 month summer use.
And even when it started to fall apart, a gifting of goosedown found it's way into countless springtime bird and small animal nests. I like to think the vigorous crop of babies was from my old bag.
It was replaced with a 4 lb, 0 degree rated Wiggy bag. Lamilite is a remarkable material, and I am satisfied. I also pack it on day hikes, secured to my german issue day rucksack that holds my sil tarp, paracord and George Carlin 'stuff.'
I get looks and comments all the time. Well not the one day my group came upon an injured hiker who we got into my bag until the Park Rangers arrived well after dusk.
The buffalo robe or point blanket would sure look neat though, sitting down among the ultralight hiking crowd, pulling a bottle of red wine, fruitcake and beef jerky.
Oh, Lamilite will regain it's full loft very quickly as opposed to even goosedown. The compression packing is VERY expensive.Unless you're punching out of a F 16, just hang it on your daypack, maybe sew a Bigfoot research association patch on it.Bigfoots are rumoured to love fruitcake.

Edited by Chris Kavanaugh (01/30/09 03:57 AM)