After reading through this thread, I decided I'd try to polish up my carbon steel Mora. i.e., fix the "rough finish" on it. I actually had to resort to a grinding wheel on my Dremel tool to clean up the sides of the blade. Then lots of sanding with 150 grit sandpaper. I'm not through with that part yet, but next will be 400 grit sandpaper followed by 0000 steel wool.

Would I recommend this? Probably not, unless you just happen to have time and don't mind sanding things. The steel is much shinier now than it was and I'd say the "quality" of the look is about the same as it was originally (just shinier). Maybe after finer sanding and polishing it will look great, but for now it's just "fair" ... same as it was before. I guess this 1095 steel used in the Mora is harder than the alloy they use in the Henry rifle receiver covers. That stuff shined up to a "high polish brushed stainless" look with only a few short minutes of polishing with 0000 steel wool. I can probably get to that polish level with the Mora, but it will take a lot more work.

I would recommend working the spine of the blade however. That was easy to do with a simple file and a little sanding. That part looks MUCH better now - it was very very rough originally.