I get my maps from MyTopo.com too. Great maps!!! My paper USGS maps are sitting on a shelf now. Don't underestimate the value of being able to print a single map that incorporate several of the 7.5 minute USGS maps. A big money savings even though each MyTopo map is more expensive.

I only order the 24” x 36” (medium size) waterproof 'paper' maps, with UTM grids. I'd order the smaller size if it suited my specific nead though. It is a huge advantage for me to have the UTM grids on them. I tried adding them to the USGS maps, but it was a pain. The grids allow me to easily transfer UTM coordinates from GPS to map, and vise versa.

I also have my name put on them so they aren't so apt to walk away, and I have them sent to me pre-folded.

The other thing I so - not so much with the paper map - is I use the on-line 24K topo maps in Geobuddy gps software to preview the area in both 24K topo form and as an aereal photo. I use Geobuddy to create key GPS waypoints of interest (just point and click), to use those waypoints to create GPS routes (mostly to obtain preliminary distance measurements) (its as easy as connecting the dots), and then upload those waypoints and routes to my GPS.

Not only is it real handy to pre-load the GPS with waypoints, but the routes provide key compass bearings, if needed. It is also a safety precaution, just in case I get lost and forget to capture those key waypoints on-site. Its nice to quickly be able to determine how close I am to my destination just by turning on the GPS.

Not only is the magnetic declination added to the map (that's on the USGS maps too), but it is the CURRENT (when printed) declination for the area - not the declination as it existed in 1965 when the maps were created. That can be a pretty substantial difference.

Ken