Hey all,

We use lodge cast iron. Very inexpensive, durable and american made. Amazon.com may still have the deal where if you buy 4 houseware products you get the cheapest item free and free shipping if over $25 on the estimate.

Someone had a problem with sticking of eggs and pancakes. I had this problem initially but we read the instructions (ok, well the DW did wink and found out you have to get the pan to temperature (i.e. hot) and add a little oil prior to adding the eggs and cakes. To check the temp of the pan (never leave the empty pan heating unattended) flick a bit of water on the surface of the pan with oil...if it pops and fizzes slightly its ready. Since we have adopted this method we no longer have a problem with sticking.

Also we wash the pans after we use them (I know, I know, but my parents never washed the pans and the rancid "crust" seriously grossed me out). I also dry them quickly (will rust with water), and I put a thin oil coating on the pan prior to putting it away. About once a month or so I'll "re-season" the pans by heating the in the oven empty with a bit of oil in them.

Best pans ever if you have the patience and some pot-holders wink.

~L

Edit: Also we purchased an ol' fashion metal spatula from a thrift store and this also really helped alleviate the sticking problems. Plastic spatulas just do not work well with cast iron...as might be expected. wink

Edited by Loganenator (01/30/09 02:02 AM)