Originally Posted By: ToddW
Also, disposable is nice to toss into caves, or into water etc.

I'm left trying to figure out what purpose this would serve. Whether chem, battery powered, or both, you're still leaving haz mats somewhere. Caves are fragile habitats and throwing crap in water is never a good idea either. It's a whole lot easier to avoid doing stuff than cleaning up later and hoping for the best.

Getting past that for a moment, I would NEVER recommend any sort of cave entry with lightsticks. It's a rescue waiting to happen.

...and not trying to hijack a thread, but...

In truth, I've never really understood the allure of lightsticks anyway. Flashlights are easier to carry, and MUCH easier to store. No worry about expirations, etc. Even having lights to give away isn't enough to consider lightsticks. For the price of lightsticks from China you could have squeeze lights from China (maybe even for less in qty). I haven't tested the el cheapo squeeze lights but believe they're better from a lifespan as well as a usable light perspective.

JMHO...YMMV

WHERE did I mention that items were LEFT??? Just where.

Fair enough. I didn't see this when I was in the process of making my reply. I just assumed if you're throwing something into a pond, you won't be getting it later. My bad.

AND on the chance you forget it or "leave it behind" you are not out more than 75 cents.

This sort of takes me back to the beginning then. I don't even look at this from a cost perspective (other than the comparison above) but more of a disposable/reusable, and a better light perspective in addition to the materials/litter issue.

Edited by yeti (01/28/09 07:14 PM)