SherpaDog's practice of logging good sheltering sites for emergency use is quite smart and I will be shamelessly emulating that from now on!

I agree with CanoeDogs: we're getting into a semantic issue about the line between "survival kit" and "stuff I'm carrying for the trip I'm on". Like others have said, there's simply no way I'm going to tote 4 lbs of sleeping bag and tarps on a 3 mile dayhike. I do carry these shelter-specific items on the hike (among other essentials, of course):

- AMK HeatSheets bivvy bag
- two of these plastic bags
- a torso-sized piece of 1/2" closed cell foam
- gaffer's tape
- some paracord
- a few cable ties
- the knowledge and prior field experience of putting these components together to rig an emergency shelter, along with bushcraft skills

This thread brings to mind the 1st/2nd/3rd line gear philosophy. Sleeping bags & tents are definitely 3rd line gear, while what most would call survival kits/supplies are 1st line.

Originally Posted By: KenK
The one part I don't carry that I probably should is some kind of signal mirror. Unfortunately they just aren't tough enough or small enough to survive the pocket environment.

I have a set of these little mirrors on order. I'll test them and report back here on the forum. My idea is to cover the reflective side with a piece of a PDA screen protector to prevent scratches while stowed.