Originally Posted By: CANOEDOGS

good thoughts,but this is where we get into what is a survival kit and what is the stuff we carry around when we go hiking,canoeing,rockhounding?..the "kit" to me is something small enought to be carryed un-noticed untill the moment you need to survive--matches-foil bag-ration bar-..the other stuff is the Lite-Hiker knapsack with enought gear to camp out if need be..my survival kit is the stuff i carry in the pockets of my PFD. compact food,a pot.Bic,and a Heatsheet bag are top items.-- i know it's hair splitting but i think of it this way.
the news report---"he "survived for a week before he was found"--V.S. "we found him camped out,lost, back in the hills"

I guess my point is to not go out with just a small kit. Take enough gear to survive what you fear to be the worst weather you could encounter. While I agree that even a small Altoids kit is much better than nothing, I don't think it will give you much margin for bad weather. It can be done with less weight than 4 pounds but what I am saying is that adding what is needed to keep you safe is worth the weight and space and worth changing your carry method.

David Enoch