That is EXACTLY on target. I think shelter and warmth are two elements of outdoor/wilderness survival that are often overlooked while assembling "the kit".

You might remember Chris, our beloved moderator, saying a few weeks back that that his most important survival tool was his sleeping bag. He wasn't kidding.

My thought on the matter is that when out and about you need to wear enough clothing to SURVIVE (not necessarily be comfortable) a few nights outdoors. Outdoorsafe.com calls this "dress to survive - not just arrive". Your clothing should provide the majority of the insulation need to deal with the cold for several days.

Now, what about the wet ground and the rain/dew that is so often associated with unexpected nights outdoors? THAT is why it is so important to carry at least two 'chunks' of some kind of waterproof material. I myself like carry at least two large (50-60 gallon) orange plastic bags. Either sit on - or better yet step into - one of the bags, and then put the over your head AFTER tearing a face-hole in one corner. Those bags can easily cover a large part of your body without flapping edges and such. Plus, the color is such that it enhances your chance of being found.

BTW, lately I've been looking at bivy bags, and couldn't help but notice that some of the small solo tents, such as the Eureka Spitfire, weight and and might even pack about the same size as the bivies. Am I wrong on that?

Ken

Combine your plastic bag shelter with a fly net, and you are amazingly protected from whatever mught come your way.

Now, you may need to be a little careful to place the bags such that they can vent a little, so as to limit condensation, but that's not too hard.