i]"Unfortunately the only way to teach children that it's not safe out here is to let them get hurt sometimes. You just make sure that it's minor.

Cut fingers, burns and bruises teach. "[/i]

The advice above should be avoided at all costs This is teaching by using a negative reenforcement and it is absolutely wrong when teaching children. You can teach adults using this method because they are old enough to make thier own decisions, children are not! I was an industrial arts teacher for years, never, NEVER did I let a kid get hurt so they would "learn something". I taught 250 kids a year and NEVER had an accident. Fear will only push them away from the message you are trying to share and possibly open yourself up to litigation. Create a positive atomosphere where the kids feel comfortable doing and trying the skills that you are working on. Guide those individuals that need help and let those that seem to have it, do it, and show others. Help create leaders and build confidence and you will see team work and mastery of skills and your program will GROW! Wouldn't it be cool if little Johnny had so much fun, he brought a buddy along? Isn't that better than trying to explain to Johnny's parents how he cut his hand or why he had to go to the hospital?

Tom