Originally Posted By: Mike_H
Originally Posted By: Leigh_Ratcliffe

Make passing the survival/first aid course a requirement for remaining/advancing in the troop. If you can.

If not: try making it a requirement for participation in any of the active activities. After all the scout might have to render aid to a fellow member.

Part of me, the nasty part is considering various (perfectly legitimate) ways to encourage the touchy feely parent to take themselves and their offspring someplace else. The rest of me is saying that wouldn't be fair on the kids.

You can't go against national with things like this.

"Perfectly legitimate" means by lawful means. Learn the system. Understand the system. Use the system. Which should be second nature to any self respecting N.C.O.

It should be clearly understood that the touchy-feely brigade will be the first to complain/sue if something happens. No matter how minor. Which makes them a concern for the whole Scouting movement.

One other point: Any decent parent is protective of their children. Which is as it should be. Unfortunately the only way to teach children that it's not safe out here is to let them get hurt sometimes. You just make sure that it's minor.

Cut fingers, burns and bruises teach.

I've fallen out of tree's and off things. Burn and cut myself when I didn't listen.
It didn't kill me and it didn't traumatise me. It did however teach me caution and respect.