Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
Sounds like good advice from JR, above.

I think this is a worthy and thoughtful discussion. I would just add that presenting knife skills as part of "tool safety" might be more palatable to the uninitiated. That's really the focus anyway.

The trick AFAIK is to divorce 'tools' from any hint of the sexy/macho/weapon thing.

Tools include saws, hammers, axes, shovels, drills, and cutting edges like chisels and knives. They will bite you if you don't show respect for their power and focus on the task at hand.

I think that the simple hacksaw is a good introduction to cutting tools, for kids who have no experience or parents who are nervous/inexperienced. You can do a surprising amount with a hacksaw. It will scrape you if you goof up, but that's it. And a one-third hacksaw blade, with sharp edges rounded and taped, will cut wood and bark, make a bit of kindling, strike a flint, cut rope and wire, etc. etc.

My two cents' worth.

Or even a coping saw and small soft blocks of wood (tool wise). If you hurt yourself with a coping saw, there may be a point about not moving on to the hacksaw.

Edited by Desperado (01/24/09 12:01 AM)

RIP OBG