Originally Posted By: martinfocazio
First of all, I'd like to clarify that I've been a proponent of AA cells - for EVERYTHING - for a long time, and have worked very hard to get the stuff I consider important for emergency preparedness to run on AA - and only AA cells. All lighting is LED/AA based, for example, as are the emergency radio receivers. However, my point in the stock of extra batteries was based in part on experiences we had down along the delaware river during the floods of 2004, 2005 and 2006. Although a relatively short-term situation, there were logistical challenges with resupply due to the river bridges being closed, and much to my surprise, we ran into a few situations where various devices - like garage door openers - went dead and there was nowhere to get replacement batteries.

Thats basically what I said, important things all are ran from AA's. I consider garage door openers to be less important since I can easily open them by hand. anything like that I buy one spare and keep it someplace and if the battery in the remote goes dead then I swap the fresh one in and buy another spare sometime when I get a chance. I've had garage door opener batteries last for years so they don't really need a large stock. Your computers will still work without the battery, you just might have to reset a couple settings each time.