Thanks for your Service, thanks for putting this program together for the boys, and thanks for putting up with the... obstinate... parents. You've been through the adult leader training, so you know the rules they establish. It waters things down a bit, but you should still be able to do most of what you're planning.
We also had parents behaving this way when I was a Scout (think 15-20 years ago). Then as now, they were typically the ones that never participated, and were only seen when they dropped their kids off or picked them up. Unless they heard about something they didn't like; then they showed up to committee meetings with clipboard in hand, taking notes and raising Cain. Well and good; their right as parents. As has been mentioned, the trick is winning them over. It can be done with most, although the stress of it drove my dad out as SM after 3 years.
For many of these boys, this truly is an opportunity to learn and do things they will never otherwise be exposed to. Even my dad, who had hunted and fished before he had kids, never took us outdoors until I had been in the Scouts for a few years and he was guilted into being a Leader. grin
I will also weigh in on throwing the Wilderness Survival Merit Badge into the program, if you've not already. (It was my favorite; can't you tell?)
If general survival (as opposed to outdoors) is of interest, don't forget Emergency Preparedness MB too.
Finally, I feel the pain of all that have posted about overprotective parents. We had a kid in our troop whose mom became a leader just to baby him. She cleaned up his tent at summer camp and did his laundry for him. There are just too many parents who for whatever reason don't want their children to be exposed to any real danger. That is understandable, but not practical. The real world is dangerous. As they will all learn eventually.
Best of luck and best wishes...