Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
I give the B.S.A. another twenty to thirty years before it is a hollowed out shell of it's former self ruled over by "safety."

Trying not to hijack this thread too much ...

Do keep in mind that the Boy Scout program - as defined by the Boy Scouts of America - is VERY much an boy run, outdoor-based program. Its an adult-guided club for boys that is run BY the boys. They should be outdoors every month - exploring and learning the very skills that we talk about on this forum plus important life skills such as planning, leadership, getting along with other people, helping other people, creating menus, buying food, packing food, selecting/buying gear, making sure the right gear comes along, cooking, cleaning, .... all important stuff.

Do keep in mind that the outdoorsmanship is not the GOAL of Scouting - it is one of the the METHODS. The real goal of Scouting is to help boys (and girls 14-18) develop character, citizenship, and personal fitness. The hidden secret of Scouting is that those lofty goals are achieved through the outdoor activities - a real slick trick that works great.

In my view the safety rules demanded by the BSA make sense. Here's and example: Rule: (paraphrased) no non-swimmers in a canoe without a trained lifeguard. At first glance that seems excessive, but if a boy does end up in the water - fairly likely for a canoe with boys - the BSA wants to make sure the other person in the canoe KNOWS how to deal with that non-swimmer. We want the boys to come back in one piece.

I simply can't think of a "Guide to Safe Scouting" rule that is obsurdly over-protective.

The boys in my son's troop come back from camp dirty, stinky, tired, and happy. What more could we ask for?

Ken K.