Well, I retired on Jan 1, so I'm slowly learning a bit more about diplomacy, but the PC part is not taking, for some reason. The First Aid instruction will be continuous throughout the instruction, with a lot of what, in the Corps, used to be called "Cherry Pickers." A cherry picker is a 1st aid scenario thrown at students, at random, whenever and wherever, just like they'd happen in real life. The students then have to treat the victim, with little supervision, and are critiqued at the end of each drill.
I throw survival cherry pickers at my Scout's frequently, just to make them stop and at least think. I find it interesting how the younger ones are usually the ones to step up into a leadership roll and take on the challenge.
I think the reluctant parents react the way they do out of ignorance, denial, or thinking that some one or some agency will be there to bail them out. People just don't learn from history, it seems (Katrina, etc.). Additionally, this same group of parents are the ones that are least involved with their Scouts, just drop them off for meetings and outings and return to pick them up, but try to set policy for the Troop when they don't even know what's going on! I've converted a few, and now they're among the most enthusiastic parents we've got, to the point where I've had to pull one or two aside and pull the reins in a bit. But, I'd much rather have to do that instead of having to deal with the "I can't do this, I can't do that" crowd.
They just can't get the fact that survival skills translate into life skills that will help their boys be more responsible and productive citizens in the long run. Of course, that's kind of the point of Scouting in the first place...