One of my best (or worst) BS calls took place a number of years ago, before I became a paramedic and strictly rode the ambulance (we have BLS ambulances with ALS chase cars). Around 4am we were dispatched for a “sick person”, the call was 2 blocks from the hospital. When we arrived on scene, a little old lady was standing along the curb with a small suitcase by her side. We inquired as to where we might find the patient and if she knew what was wrong with the patient. She answered “I am the patient, I am scheduled to go to the hospital in the morning for surgery and I could not sleep, so I thought I would go in now”. We asked her if her symptoms were worse and is that why she requested an ambulance, she answered “no, the cab company, would not send a cab, so she called for the ambulance, knowing we would come”.

Back then our EMS was 100% volunteer (both BLS and ALS) and did not charge for any emergency medical services, today BLS is 50%/50% volunteer/career and ALS is 5%/95% volunteer/career. Now, we do charge for services, but if the patient cannot or choices not to pay, the county just writes off the charge so there is little incentive to dissuade misuse.

Last year I posted regarding my giving up my ALS license/affiliation due to the ever increasing continuing educational requirements. I decided to complete the requirements and renewed my ALS license/affiliation, which will take me to April 2010. However, I have pretty much made up my mind not renew my ALS license/affiliation for the next time period.

Pete