I carry a little over 70’ of paracord on my pack in the backcountry.
This is actually four separate sections that I knot together with simple square knots in to one long line, or separate when needed for application.

Over the years, I have narrowed it down to this amount as I have found this is sufficient for me to complete my necessary bear-bagging (with two carabiners), guylines for my solo tent, and some extra for emergency repairs I have ran across so far.
It gets a lot of use, as I always hang my food, and spend a great deal of time in the back country for work, and play.

I hear you about weight. I often have to carry at least 20lbs of extra weight in research gear, so try to keep all of my gear to light weight brands/styles and to the necessities. I have just found that it is the most useful cordage for the price/weight.

In addition to the endless things I have used it for myself, I have also used it to repair the gear of others I have bumped into in the backcountry, including one hikers boot gaiters, a snowshoer’s bindings, a cross-country skiers bindings and of course the most common is tying people’s gear onto their packs because they brought more than they can fit in the pack.

I actually should think about replacing my current line, as I have been using this newest piece for about 7 yrs now. It tends to get stretched a bit and gets smaller in diameter, but just takes forever to wear out. Eventually it gets too many pitch patches on it and little frayed spots. I usually retire it to tie-line around the homestead, and still get many more years from it.

I also carry 12’ of tubular blue webbing which I have used for a variety of uses when I needed more strength, including a lead line once for a 2 yr old paint gelding I found 10 miles into the Three Sisters Wilderness.

In my day pack I carry 50’ of less used paracord and keep 100’ hanks of paracord in each of my vehicle emergency preparedness packs.

I will only use the mil spec type paracord which I used to get from my local military surplus store, but now purchase from County Comm, since I can get more color variety for visibility, etc.

"...and my heart soars."