Originally Posted By: Susan
America has spawned an excellent crop of fools and idiots.

It's more than just America. As a species we show a certain predilection towards mindless behavior. Sometimes, I wonder how we continue to thrive! wink

I wonder though, what might be more valuable... having someone pay for their rescue, or having someone as an example to pick apart and show how the behavior was stupid? It would seem the latter would prove more valuable. Plus, and I hate to say it, but lives are lives...and if we set up a system where people REFUSE to ask for help for fear of the financial outcome, we set up a system that affects far more in the way of lives (family?) than what could prove to be a teachable moment.

Yes, people feel far too secure and myopic. But ignorance can be overcome, stupidity can't. How many are we **really** prepared to see suffer and/or die just because they're stupid? How much humanity are we prepared to toss? I just don't see any good solutions with these types of things. Flash emotion makes me **want** to turn around and walk away. I just can't do it and don't know if I could live with myself if I did.