I live in the Maryland suburbs and was thinking about going downtown for the inauguration. Well, thinking about it long enough to rule it out -- better to watch on TV. I was wondering (if I were foolhardy enough to go) what I should take with me knowing I'd have 8-12 hours of walking and standing in 20 degree cold. The Washington Post had a front-section graphic last week suggesting:

woolen socks
hiking boots
thick pants
thermal coat
scarf
ear mitts
woolen hat
gloves
water in bottles (backpacks not allowed)
toilet paper (for the 5,000 porta-potties)
camera (no tripods or camera bags)
snacks (no coolers, food or beverages if you are close to the Capitol.)
hand warmers

What isn't allowed (besides the backpacks) are the obvious (firearms, etc,) and useful things like multitools.
Of course, where you'd put some of the extras when you aren't allowed to have backpacks or bags is a question. And the no-tripods rule must mean you're only allowed to take bad pictures.

In another article's comments, someone asked about those tripod, cane-like sitting stools, and the official inauguration committee responded with "those would be OK."

In the spirit of equipping to survive, what else should be carried to survive the cold for hours longer than you should be outside? This isn't BOB materiel per se, just what could make the day more comfortable.