Over the years, I've grown used to carrying a fairly large folder on a daily basis. Unfortunately, a big folder is not allowed in some jurisdictions and on several occasions I've also had to leave my EDC folder at home when travelling in countries with strict knife laws.

So I just came back from another trip abroad and thought about this again. Maybe it would be a good idea to get a smaller folder for backup, something stronger than a SAK but still compact and low key. In other words, a smallish utility knife that I could EDC in knife-unfriendly places and wouldn't raise anyone's eyebrow nearly as much as my Endura. So I've been thinking about a blade around 2 1/2", at least 440C or better steel, a decent lock but reasonably light and slim plus inexpensive (in the event it had to be ditched/got confiscated somehow anyway).

Another option would be a small multitool like the Leatherman Micra. Too bad the knife on that one seems to be fairly lousy. I've also checked out a small Gerber multitool (forgot the exact name, similar to the Micra) but it looked cheap and poor quality.