We had a somewhat related discussion the other day on an offroading board I'm on. I extract people when they get stuck, no matter whether they are deep in the woods or just off the side of the road. My only rule is that THEY hook up to whatever point on their vehicle they want to. I'll check it to make sure it looks structurally sound before I pull them out. But, if their vehicle gets damaged during the process, it's not my problem. THEY got stuck, THEY asked me to pull them out, and THEY made the connection to their own vehicle.

I've never charged anyone for pulling them out, I've never charged anyone for helping them repair their vehicle, I've never even charged for giving people parts out of my supply of spare parts. I figure what comes around goes around and one day I might need their help. Unlikely given the amount of tools, parts, and general preparedness on my part, but still possible.

That said, if someone is just repeatedly being an idiot, I might not help them. Only one time comes to mind. We were out at the offroad park and a few kids in a near-stock Jeep Cherokee tried a trail that my Jeep wouldn't stand a chance of making it up. (Think 4' tall straight vertical ledges for about 100' in a row) They destroyed their tierod and were trying to winch it out.

Several much older, very knowledgeable, experienced people tried helping and offering advice, but they wouldn't listen to anyone. They hooked to a 6" tree about 10' off the ground, nearly pulled the tree down on everyone, and wouldn't even listen to our advice about fixing it when they finally got it out. Finally, we just drove off and left them with it. Winch cable under high tension + stupid kids = high likelihood of death or serious injury.

Edited by 2005RedTJ (01/17/09 02:15 AM)