Originally Posted By: Sherpadog
Originally Posted By: scafool

No, I know the trail.

Are you sure you know the trail?

By your comments, I assume you are inferring this all occurred on the West Coast Trail as you mentioned this trail by name.

I have hiked this great trail 4 times over 11 years and have never seen the trail littered as you have described. The trail wardens, workers, First Nations people and the hikers do an incredible job in maintaining this trail. Perhaps I went through with blinders on....but I doubt it, as I generally keep a watchful eye at all times. Then you never know, we may of been fortunate that we hiked the trail in good years.

If year after year, you see the same item in the same location as you claim, it is quite obvious that these items have been abandoned and have no historical relevance. If this is the case, why not take develop good land stewardship and pack it out....or at the very least report it. This applies to any trail in general.

Also the WCT trail is only 47 miles at it's most extreme length...not 60 miles and trail use permits open April 1st for same season hikes only. I highly recommend this trail to any person who is in physical shape to hike it.

And what exactly do you think the native kids are busy cleaning up?
YOUR JUNK!!!
The trail permits may open April fools day, but try getting one.
They are all bought up by the outfitters selling them advanced.

We have many such trails in Canada.
Mostly used by Japanese and American computer wizards on their vacations.

I used to travel that trail in January, February and March.

Anyway, if you are in a survival situation you will use whatever you find, and in my opinion be very welcome to it.
If you were wrecked and at such a place you should certainly use whatever keeps you alive.

The real sad joke is there is no place except the Carmanagh Valley that I can not drive to within a half hours walk of on the wet coast trail.

Edited by scafool (01/16/09 12:56 AM)
Edit Reason: politeness