The Marlin .357 Mag and S&W revolver combo is really hard to beat. You can shoot a wide variety of .38 Spl and .357 Mag. ammo, even wadcutters if you load them one at a time in the Marlin as they don't feed from the magazine and you'll have to take the tube off to clear it. Yes, I do know for sure. The .357 with proper bullets can take even deer, elk and black bear at ranges out to 150 yards or so. Using cast bullets and light loads you can shoot rabbits or squirrels without losing much meat.
Ruger, Marlin, and others also make 9mm and .40S&W carbines that would make a good pairing with a suitable pistol, though the range of ammo choices is not as great as for the .357.
Versatility and utility are my big things. That's why I prefer the .357 Mag. and also the 20- or 12-ga. shotgun. As mentioned by others, there are several rifles made with interchangable barrels that shoot rimfire, centerfire and shotgun with the same action. H&R/NEF, Knight, Taurus, Rossi, are a few that come to mind. This flexibility, and reliability, makes for what I consider the ideal "survival" gun, or guns when teamed with a revolver.