I live in the San Francisco Bay Area in a row house style condo. My expectation is that a major earthquake will render the house unsafe for living; there are always fires after earthquakes from broken gas mains, and we're down wind from downtown.

We have a patio and a few tents and shade structures we could put up there. Our condo also has a reasonably large parking lot we could set up in.

There are a number of reasons we plan to stay: our geography is unique - we're on a peninsula, so bugging out is less of an option if the two roads going the length of the peninsula are either destroyed or littered with broken down cars; we're too old and too frail to try to hike out; although many expect looting and other villainy, we don't - we expect to be able to take care of our needs and help and be helped by our neighbors.

We bought a van and have a month's worth of food, sleeping bags, air mattress, seasonal clothing, and more in the van where we can get it if the house collapses. We hope to be able to drive out of fire danger if downtown burns, but we don't expect to be able to drive out of the area.

There's no good place for a garden around here, and if we're here long enough to harvest, we'll be planted ourselves, I figure (i.e., dead).