Red, that conclusion assumes that everyone in the community is on a level playing field. "If you don't plan on bringing anything to the game, don't expect to play" would be a more appropriate characterization of the mentality. Don't confuse charity with cooperation either. For a community to function properly, there must be a sense of equity in action, otherwise what you are asking for is charity, which is not necessarily in the best interest of the community in a given situation. Charity has its place, but it isn't the same as cooperation.

With that, I'll concur that there are those insane individuals that trust absolutely no one, and who only look out for themselves. Good luck to them I say. I will get with my friends when TSHTF and we will fare better I think. No man is an island, but neither should he be expected to provide for the less fortunate simply because they are unable/unwilling to do so for themselves.