Originally Posted By: JohnE
It's interesting, well to me anyway, that rather than improving or demanding higher driving ability standards, we instead, demanded and got safer cars. That of course, leads to even worse drivers as people feel safe in engaging in even worse driving practices, ie, cell phones, makeup application, texting, eating, doing paperwork, reading, performing light surgery, etc. One could make a very reasonable argument that for all the wrong reasons, Lee Iacocca was right about making air bags mandatory.

What's that old saying about getting what we deserve?

JohnE

Like everything else, it's because nothing is our own fault or responsibility anymore. All accidents are because of a shortcoming in the equipment, procedures, etc.

There's a little car I would love to own but getting one imported is a royal pain because it isn't available with air bags. The powers that be will happily let me run out and purchase a motorcycle but heaven forbid I be allowed something as reckless as a car without air bags.

</rant>

grin