One of the first things to learn is simple: When conditions suck don't drive.

I'm all for optimism but IMHO there aren't that many vitally important reasons for me to fight my way through any serious storms. Before I leave I look at eh weather forecasts and if I have to stay put for another day or two so be it.

Second: Pack to stay an extra day or two where you are. This makes it easier to observe the first rule. If I know I have everything I need to stay put I'm less likely to feel forced to take risks. Having an extra change of clothing, any necessary medications and other supplies to camp in the truck if need be, is a good start in having emergency supplies on board.

Third: Have appropriate types and amounts of supplies for surviving in, or walking out from, the vehicle. This also helps with ...

Fourth: If things go south while your on the road pull off. But do it carefully and in a defensive manner. When things are really bad try to get off the road just after an underpass and back up to the other side of the rail. The idea is to put something substantial enough to deflect a loaded semi between you and your vehicle and traffic. Cement barriers, strong guard rails and underpass embankments are all good. Near an underpass has the advantage of doubling the chances of being found by rescuers. Get off the road before you run out of options. Before your forced off.

Having extra supplies in the vehicle makes pulling off feel more reasonable so there is less temptation to try to drive through when the odds are against you.