Ruzz,

Matches, especially in a waterproof match safe, and a disposable butane lighter (such as a Scripto or Bic) are easy, convenient ways to start a fire. But as you have noted, matches can become wet, lighters loose fuel and otherwise malfunction. One very reliable device for starting fires is the modern, artificial flint rod, the ferocerrium (sp?) rod and steel. It's good for thousands of lights. Even if it becomes wet, it is simple to dry. It has only 2 parts and you provide the energy to make one move.

A number of excellent ferrocerium rods are available. The Swedish Fire Steel is excellent. Another favorite is the Hot Spark available at any Boy Scout shop. One is part of my EDC.

My favorite tender consists of cotton balls which I have impregnated with petroleum jelly. They readily catch sparks and ignite. They burn well for about 5 minutes. After practice, you may be able to start a campfire with only a fraction of a cotton ball. You can also buy prepared tinder from various sources. Couglans is everywhere. Others are also commonplace.

I have also worked with natural flint and carbon steel trying to make a fire. It's quite hard even to get a decent sized spark, let alone start a fire with the primitive tools. So if that's your goal, work hard, but be patient.

Naturally, I am assuming your parents consent to all your fire-starting endeavors. Discuss it with them. They might surprise you with very good information. And don't act against their wishes even if you don't agree with them. The farm is their livelihood and they may have excellent but unspoken reasons)

Enjoy your many opportunities to learn while young.

John
(a former 16 year old farm boy)