I'm impressed that you posted this question. That took guts. Lacking context for your question, I'll venture out on a limb:

If you don't advocate for yourself and your informed opinions then others will get the opportunities, raise, promotion and recognition you deserve. Sort of the snooze-you lose scenario.

The times I've pushed back when I thought I deserved a promotion, higher salary or bonus, I've never had a boss begrudge me for making the case for myself. Sometimes I was convincing, sometimes not. You have to be a professional about it. At the least, you'll put yourself on their radar for next time and hopefully get useful feedback on your performance.

As a boss, I've never begrudged anyone who made a reasoned case for themselves. Sometimes they prevailed, sometimes not. Some considered chutzpa is admirable as a leadership trait.

Asserting in meetings depends on the players -- whether the participants are all peers or if there is hierarchy present. In any event, listening (not just hearing, but really concentrating on listening) is a critical skill so you can guage when to assert an opinion or pose a strategic question.

I heartily second OldBaldGuy's recommendation on speech class. Public speaking is among the most terrifying prospects for most people. If you can gain confidence in addressing a large audience, small ones such as you'll find in meetings should become easier.

Good luck. If this is career-related, I'd Google a lot and see what guidance comes up.

Knowing that you need to be assertive is at least half the battle. Some folks never figure the first part out.

Edited by Dagny (01/10/09 10:20 PM)