That Tirfor appears to be what we call a "come-a-long". If I'm in a real bind, I can also use the Hi-Lift jack and the chain as a come-a-long. One trick I've used before I had the winch and was buried to the frame was to jack up each corner one at a time and throw rocks in the holes the tires had dug. Then we basically made a trail of rocks to drive on once we got it up out of the mud.

Sometimes it's a simple as just jacking the vehicle up one end at a time and pushing it over a couple of feet. I try to avoid mud as much as possible, unlike when I first got the Jeep. I used to romp through the biggest mudholes just to see if it would make it through. Replacing wheel bearing and universal joints all the time got old though. It'll still walk right through the worst mudholes with ease, I just prefer to go around them whenever I can. Spending $20 at the carwash getting all the mud off every time got old too.

And, for every one time my winch has been used to extricate me, it's been used at least 20 times to extricate someone else, lol.

Edited by 2005RedTJ (01/10/09 05:32 PM)