I have to admit, despite having a collection of fixed blades worth well over $2,000 right now, I have no use for any of them on a daily basis. Other than testing purposes, more than half have not been used for any sort of real service. Three are kept handy at home as self defense weapons (a big knife at close quarters on familiar ground is an effective defensive weapon, especially if you get the drop on the BG). Otherwise, my edc is usually my little Gerber shortcut, which replaced a SAK classic, or else occasionally my Leatherman Wave. Even in Iraq, a multi-tool was used by the soldiers much more often than any fixed blade they carried. When I asked what, other than melee, the fixed blades did get used for, most often it was as a pry tool, or to flip things over to look underneath (the idea being I suppose if something nasty was under there waiting for you, you'd already have the big nasty knife in hand and ready to go), or to cut open the MRE bags.

Most of the time I used mine to fend off offensive palm trees by throwing it at their trunks, hard. Palm trees, after all, are tough.