Originally Posted By: wildman800

A motorcycle riding friend of mine, driving down old farm roads once came across an old southern style mansion, abandoned and vandalized. After looking over the house, he noticed a garbage pile in the backyard. Being a bottle collector, he started digging in the pile, searching,,,,until he came up against a door. The door led to a Fallout Shelter that was stocked with canned water, C-Rats, and boxes upon boxes of legal type records (land deeds and who knows what else).

What places would you tend to seek out to find materials in the mountains, snow covered hills up north, out on the plains, etc???

There is a local semi-rural road here named "Powderhouse". Named so because back in the days that what is now a nuke missile base used to be a cavalry fort and they had an underground cache of rifles and powder in the area. Over the course of time the exact location was forgotten. One of these days someone will be digging a foundation for a house or ditches for water lines and find it. As the story goes it contains the "treasure" of rifles and kegs of black powder.

A friends family bought property south of Laramie Wyoming in the 80s and found an intact "dugout" style house on the property after they had it about 5 years. There were still plates sitting on the table, clothes on the beds and the pantry stocked with cans and jars, the most recent label read 1903. No records in the county seat of anyone ever living on the property or any structures being built.

One thing I'd hit in a search for useable stuff is an auto junk yard. Being a "car guy" take my word for it, you can run into some handy stuff. Cars get totalled in accidents and towed off, often the owners forget what was in the trunk etc and never bother to reclaim it. I've seen blankets, clothes, tools, knives, even a rusty old gun on one occasion.

Edited by Ranter (01/08/09 04:24 AM)