I changed it around a little tonight. Added another 100 Potable Aqua purification tablets and removed 12 of the 24 water rations. I figure with a means to boil water, 200 purification tablets, 6 coffee filters, and a 1-quart military canteen - I believe I have the water thing covered (though I do plan on switching the canteen out for a good wide-mouth nalgene bottle.

Those are the 1200-calorie-per day food rations, so I figure if I remove half of them, I still have 3 days worth of rations plus 3 MRE entrees plus 8 granola bars. I know it won't be like a steak dinner with a baked potato every meal, but would it do to survive on?

The Recon Tanto was free, I've grown pretty used to it and it's full-tang and tough as nails. It's one of the original, old-style Recon models. Not the one they sell nowadays. I removed the Gerber Mark I, don't really see a need for it with the Tanto in there.

In addition to the one BIC lighter in the bag, I always have one in my pocket.

I need to get a folding saw, I was just at Bass Pro Shop and forgot to check on one. They were also out of the Thermo-Lite II Bivvy as well as the fleece bag I wanted. May have to check back or just buy them online. Also need to pick up a better compass.

I removed the kitchen garbage bags, don't know why I had them in there. What would be a better book to keep in there than the FM 21-76? Also, I have checked the first aid kit and have put a few more things in it, not much yet though. What else would be good to have in the first aid kit?

The granola bars are individually wrapped and kept in a ziplock bag so I'm not too worried about meltage. I need to grab some zipties off the company van. I shouldn't have forgotten those, I use a ton of them every day.

After removal/replacement of some items, the bag now weighs 26 pounds. Still need to add sleeping bivvy/fleece bag, and a fleece hooded pullover.