Originally Posted By: comms
I never understood the desire for 'combat' knives for any reason more than familiarity with the tool from past professional experience. And that's okay. I won't be high and mighty here, I am very fond of Gerber Mark 2's, but really what are those good for off a battlefield?

I recently got to play with a Gerber LMF and it was an awesome knife. The blade seemed small you don't need long blades for most outdoor craft. The butt cap can pound or be pounded on, it carries its own built in sharpener. Plus its under a hundred. It will be my next fixed blade purchase.

The term "combat knife" doesn't mean much, at least not much more than the word "tactical". A true fighting knife would be something along the lines of the Fairbairn-Sykes dagger (the Gerber Mk II is pretty much the same thing), meant for killing and little else. I don't think too many folks except for the entirely uninitiated would attempt to pick any knife like that for their primary outdoor survival knife.

On the other hand, the typical "combat knife" these days is basically a medium-sized Bowie, which has been the most popular type of outdoor hunting/survival knife since the early 19th c. when the Sheffield knifemakers began marketing them. Nowadays the USMC Kabar is the most popular example of its kind. It can make a helluva weapon if necessary but it's primarily a tool. The concept of a 7" Bowie blade may not appeal to everyone but it really works as an outdoor survival tool, hence its popularity.

BTW, interesting what you said about the Gerber LMF. I bought one for a friend and so got the chance to play with it for a little while but there was nothing about it I liked. Too space age, uncomfortable handle, wrong balance and less than perfect blade geometry. I also never figured how to make the sheath work. IMHO it's no improvement over the older generation of US military knives, more the contrary. But I well understand somebody else may find it more suited to his taste. Which is a good thing, the market is huge so to each his own! smile