i see that the survival rifle post ran sort of long and had lots of comments from other AR 7 owners so i thought i would post this.

back in 1967 when i was in the Army many companys had a discounts for GI's program. you could still mail order guns and i got a AR 7 sent to my home. i also had SCUBA gear from
US Divers waiting for me.thinking back on it my confidence level must have been kind of high to think i would get back home to use that stuff..anyway..i did..this is an Armalite model made in Costa Mesa--and yes i know i put the butt cap on upside down when i took the photo..

back home in Upstate NY i used the AR for plinking and some
small game hunting but my plans for it were that it would be part of a survival kit as it was made for that. carrying it around in the woods with the plastic stock felt sort of James Bond wanabe so i ordered this wood stock from a local gun shop.
i don't recall the price but i'll bet i did not break a twenty. and i don't know where i found out about the stock.it was some 40 years ago guys..i don't recall if it was in the paperwork that came with it or i saw it in a magazine but the gun shop had to order it for me.

the guts of the AR fit right into the stock and is held by a single barrel band with a screw.

a nice cheek rest finishes off the very well made stock and no,i have no idea who made it.could be Armalite ???

and last a shot of the very fine inletting job.the works drop in without a hitch.the barrel band came with the stock.it slides over the front sight and that one screw pulls everthing in tight.the only modification i had to make was to remove a tiny bit of wood under the bolt handle that was interferring with the bolt and causing some ejection problems.i did that with a pocket knife after the first few magazines were shot thru it.sometime in the 80's i sent it in to the gunsmithing service at one of the big outfitters and they put a new ejector in and it's worked like new since then..
as a last word to all the real gun enthusiasts and retired
Army Sargents i would like to apologize for the somewhat sorry state this nice little rifle is in.i should have run an
oily rag over it before i took the photos as it's been sitting
unused in a closet for the past few years and looks a bit scruffy.

Edited by CANOEDOGS (01/07/09 05:16 AM)