You really have to ask yourself, what will you do with that knife? What do you need it for? What exactly can that knife do that some cheaper one can't?

Having made a few blades as an amateur in my time, I'm all for supporting fine products by custom knifemakers. You sound like someone looking for a utility knife however, not a knife collector.

I have no direct experience with Wilson knives. The ones on their website look nice but in practical terms, I doubt they're the optimal choice. At least some of them are basically the sharpened crowbar type - very beefy blades (1/4") that make semi-decent prybars but not necessarily great (or even satisfactory) cutters due to the overly thick profile. If you need a crowbar you can get a much better one for $10. As far as a great no-nonsense hunting/survival knife you can get a good old USMC Kabar for under $50. It will do all that is required of a good knife and is likely a better cutter because of its slimmer blade profile.

Again, this is not meant to disparage the brand that caught your attention. It's just that from the user point of view I don't believe it's worth spending anything over $100 at most on a survival/utility knife. You simply will not get enough return for the money. If you want a Wilson knife because of the looks, workmanship, collector value or whatever, go for it if you have some bucks to spare. But you have to realize that as a working tool it will only be marginally better in practice (if at all) than some much cheaper knives.

P.S.: Well, looks like Mr. Kavanaugh has already made a few identical points while I was writing my post... At least it goes to show a few other folks may share my opinion. smile