As a bit of a side comment, I used to teach a safety course. I would ask how many usually lock their doors whenever they leave home. Most hands went up. I would then ask how many would usually lock their doors whenever they or their family where inside their home. Far fewer hands went up. I would then suggest that, if you could only manage one or the other, try locking them when your family is there. You could see many faces brighten with a new insight as to what their door locks are best used for. They just hadn't thought of it that way before.

Safety is often about common sense and a little forethought. You can't really teach that, but you can do a little consciousness-raising about it, and maybe get some to start thinking ahead a little.

While you will be focusing more on certain things, this means you can cover a lot of basic topics of a general safety nature in a fairly short amount of extra time, because you don't need to teach the nuts and bolts, just stimulate awareness. The students can do the rest.

Got a pool, and kids, and DON'T know CPR? Really?

Does your newly licensed-to-drive teenage daughter know how to fix a flat tire?

Did you know that deadbolts and fire extinguishers earn you a discount on most6 homeowners' insurance?

Anyone here can quickly generate their own list of ideas to mention.

Jeff