I suppose trekking poles MIGHT be marginally useful. Marginally in the sense that they will make hiking seem a little easier for a while until your arms tire and that's about it. Somehow I just find them amazingly annoying as an increasingly popular fashion statement, though. Everyone seems to bring along a pair nowadays, even on really easy treks and EVEN in the cities! That, to me, is just plain ridiculous. I must also admit that I know not a single serious outdoorsman under the age of 50 who ever uses trekking poles to any extent.

YMMV but to me, trekking poles are pretty much unnecessary weight. I prefer to keep my hands free most of the time. Makes it easier to grab a rock or tree when negotiating difficult terrain. On longer treks I do like to cut down a straight hazel sapling, 5-6' or so. Just like folks used to do many, many years ago before the trekking pole fad cult took over.

If you genuinely need some extra support a long, sturdy wooden stick is a lot more practical IMO. Trekking poles are really too short if you have to negotiate steep slopes. With proper technique you can use a long stick much more effectively, either choke the grip or lengthen when necessary. You also get to keep one hand free and a long stick is a helluva deterrent against a hostile dog or some other form of vicious wildlife.

I just find it incredibly sad that a skill as basic, simple and universal as walking with a staff has been forgotten. Now the industry is pushing the Nordic walking fad to make a quick buck and most people simply follow the bandwagon.

Well, to each his own but I'll just stick (pun intended) to a hazel staff like my gramps, RIP, showed me a long time ago. When people still knew how to walk on their own feet and could whittle themselves a nice walking staff in a couple of minutes with a pocket knife... smile