The older 36' MLBs had a forward cockpit in the bow for a crewman to pass lines and use grappling hooks . It was aptly named 'the glory hole' and an old initiation was sitting in it going over the Bar and getting a real 'watering down' party now done with 3.2 beer.
My misadventeure happened when one engine died with a cracked head just as I was going into the bar. We fell off heading and I was reversing engine and spinning helm when the equivelent of wet cement at speed hit us. You are in a wet suit, Bell motorcycle helmet, MK 1 lifejacket and survival belt with knife etc.You are at least buckled in with 3" aircraft grade webbing. You can't move, if you have any air in your lungs you're lucky and it's totally dark and cold.It's seems to last an eternity, but you pop up ( hopefully) in a matter of seconds as the boat self rights.
My 44' did, though the radar array was shorn off, the safety cage behind my seat was twisted like a DNA helix and my swimmer was in shock with a broken collarbone. My engineman had something crack his helmet but was conscious and I had what turned out to be a hairline skull fracture.
Then we finished the SAR by towing the disabled fishing boat out beyond the bay and wait for a helciopter medivac from Astoria and our sister MLB to come out.
Somebody decided a QM really belonged on cutters and not MLBs and I got transferred to a icebreaker and a southpat. Then somebody decided Northwest Lifeboat coxswains should be designated 'surfmen' with a pin, an a insult to our mates on equally dangerous coastlines elsewhere.
So, months later I'm digging on whales and icebergs when the 'Old Man' hands me my surfman pin. We weren't big on formal ship's assemblies, given the weather and all. He pins it on me, we exchange salutes and a handshake. Then he kind of looked deep into my eys. 'Kav, promise me you won't try any MLB stunts with my cutter,o.k.?'

I've been slowly building a R/C U-boat for our local, man made lake.I figure I can sit at the landing, drinking beer and eating calamari while terrorizing the local electric boat Ancient Mariners.
It's much safer.

Edited by Chris Kavanaugh (01/03/09 06:37 PM)