Shoes are an issue. I choose shoes I can wear all day, but walking home after the Big One would be daunting. I should carry blister pads anyway as I do sometimes need them in non-emergency situations.

TheSock mentioned maps. That's something I haven't considered. I have maps in the EK, but not in my pocket. I do tend to explore rather than always driving the same route from A to B, so I know my way around pretty well. Still, a map would be nice. Trouble is a map with any detail would be too big to EDC. That might be one of the things I buy when needed.

Sue is right, I can't be fully prepared. It is a matter of balancing risks and rewards. I like where I live, so I do what I can to be prepared and hope I have some luck when the Big One happens. For sure transportation will be a nightmare for days or even weeks afterwards. If I'm near home I most likely will be ok.

One thing I need to think more about is "living off the land" so to speak. As scafool points out, at least in the immediate aftermath there will be lots of resources available. Having a pre-planned "shopping list" might be a good idea. That I can EDC.