Looks like the story is even more tragic. Some of the dead were Good Samaritans who happened upon the first avalanche and were killed by the second during rescue efforts.

- - - - -
From the Edmonton Journal (a credible publication BTW):

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/news/Seven+bodies+found+search/1123919/story.html

"RCMP said the men were all wearing avalanche beacons when they were riding together Sunday in the Flathead Valley, 40 kilometres southwest of Fernie.

Police said some members from a group of seven snowmobilers were buried by an avalanche in the Harvey Pass area — a popular backcountry snowmobile destination.

A second group of four snowmobilers heard yelling from the area and came to the aid of members from the first group who were in the process of digging out their fellow riders.

The RCMP said the newly formed group was able to locate one rider, but as they were digging him out at a depth of about three metres, a second avalanche came down and buried the entire group.

Two of the buried riders managed to get themselves out within about 20 minutes. These two used avalanche beacons to locate a third buried victim who they rescued after an additional 20 minutes of digging.

The Provincial Emergency Program was notified when automated distress calls were received from communications devices worn by the snowmobilers. A helicopter was dispatched to the scene to pick up two of the three survivors. The third survivor was transported by ground with the assistance of Fernie Search and Rescue personnel."

- - - - -

I've been to Fernie, in summer. It's magnificent mountain country. It's also high angle country with narrow valleys, so I imagine any avalanche would travel a long way with considerable force. From first reports, the snowmobilers were not "high marking" -- a popular sport where souped-up sleds go up steep inclines in a competition to leave the highest mark. This, of course, carries a degree of avalanche risk. But it appears (hearsay?) that this group was low down and happened to be caught by the first avalanche.

Hearts out to the families. This has to be a tough one.

- - - - -

(P.S., Moderators, I believe my limited quote is appropriate. If not, please advise and I will modify ASAP.)

Edited by dougwalkabout (12/30/08 03:51 AM)